Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

2 months for Mia

I took Mia to the doctor for her 2 month check up and all is well!
She is growing in weight and length everyday. Despite still having traces of blood in her stool, the doctor thinks I'm doing well with the breastfeeding and the new diet. Just so you know what a struggle this is, consider looking at the ingredients in the next thing you eat... I have to avoid the following:
  • butter and related products (including artificial butter flavor, butter fat, butter solids, butter oil, buttermilk, and natural butter flavor)
  • caramel color or caramel flavoring
  • casein products and caseinates (including ammonium, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, rennet, sodium, and zinc caseinates)
  • cheese
  • cottage cheese
  • cream and cream curds
  • custard
  • fat replacers such as Opta and Simplesse
  • flavorings and natural flavorings (including Bavarian cream flavoring, brown sugar flavoring, caramel flavoring, coconut cream flavoring, some seasonings and natural flavors for meat and poultry, binding agents, fillers, natural egg flavor, canned fish, seasoned and ranch-style potato and tortilla chips, and seasoned french fries)
  • goat's milk (contains proteins similar to those in cow's milk)
  • half-and-half
  • high-protein flour and other types of added protein (particularly the kind found in "high-energy" foods, which often contain milk protein)
  • hydrolysates (including hydrolyzed casein and milk protein)
  • lactose (and other products that begin with lact including lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate, lactate, lactic acid starter culture, lactoferrin, lactoglobulin, and lactulose)
  • margarine
  • milk in all forms (including condensed milk, dry milk, dry milk solids, evaporated milk, low-fat milk, nonfat or skim milk, milk derivative, milk fat, milk powder, milk protein, milk solids, malted milk, and powdered milk)
  • sour cream, sour cream solids, and sour milk solids
  • whey and whey products (including delactosed whey, demineralized whey, whey powder, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein hydrolysate)
  • yogurt
Thus, I must pretty much be in control of everything that goes into my mouth. I really can't eat out, because you just don't know how the food is prepared. For example, I ate Chicken Fajitas that my sister in law made and they were preseasoned from HEB (a grocery store), well after I read the package I realized they had Sodium Lactate...essentially some milk by product. Go figure!! It wasn't her fault, it was my ignorance.

Fortunately I realize I can still get my bread fix by making my own bread, I have a bread machine that was collecting dust, so I'm pretty excited about making my own bread. I think it will be pretty cool.

Anyway, Mia is weighing in at 10 lbs and .06 oz, putting her in the 40th percentile and she is measuring 22 1/2 inches putting her in the 47th percentile. She is cooing and smiling so much more everyday and she is generally a happy baby. She is sleeping pretty well, about 6-7 hours a night and during the day she is taking good naps in her crib. The doctor said we could even give her an ounce of chamomile tea to help with gasiness. I haven't done it yet, but if Mylicon fails me at least I can turn to that. Even at 1o lbs. she still seems so small to me. Let's just say she's petite. Mia has started making bubbles with her saliva and just last night was trying to suck on her fingers, when she couldn't get a finger in her mouth she resorted to the palm of her hand. Silly girl! I hope she never finds her thumb or else it will be a battle later on. :)

Luisa spent the day with her Grandma Anna (Ted's mom) while I took Mia to the doctor and did some damage at the Gap. They had an extra 25% off sale for kids and baby clothes. Her Grandma bought her a pair of jeans from Talbots. A bit too pricey for me, but I will gladly accept them. :)

We took pictures at Portrait Innovations of Mia and I hope to get those out soon.

1 comment:

The Liberto Family said...

I'm glad to hear Mia is doing well and growing! Wow 10lbs that's good. I know it has to be hard not to eat all those foods. Good luck with that and hope you can contiune to BF her. I will call you sometime this week.